The importance of cybersecurity certification has been highlighted by new infographic from Palo Alto Networks.
Here are some of the key facts and statistics from the infographic.
Bridging the cybersecurity skills gap
Palo Alto Networks quotes the Cybersecurity Workforce Study* which shows that, worldwide, the gap between open positions and the availability of experienced cybersecurity professionals is over 2.72 million.
The same study looks at the top 5 career motivators for technical certifications:
- Higher than average salary – 31% of respondents reported a median annual salary of US$100,000 or more and 50% of candidates received a pay increase of 6%–20%.
- Promotions – 56% of candidates who earned IT certifications were promoted in their current roles.
- Job satisfaction – 77% of respondents are satisfied or extremely satisfied with their jobs
- Obtain new skills – 73% of respondents cited obtaining particular skills, knowledge, or competencies
- Strengthen resumes – 56% of candidates used IT credentials to update and strengthen their resumes
Employer benefits of cybersecurity certification
According to Global Knowledge (2021 IT Skills and Salary Report, Global Knowledge, November 10, 2021) the estimated return on investment (ROI) for each credentialed staff member is approximately US$10,000.
Don’t forget the feel-good factor
The Palo Alto Networks infographic quotes Dan Flear, “Salary Trends 2020/2021’, to show that, aside from extrinsic benefits, candidates experienced many intrinsic benefits from certification, including:
- 76% greater job satisfaction
- 76% increased respect from peers
- 84% greater determination to succeed professionally
- 74% greater work autonomy and independence
- 91% increased confidence
Summarising the rewards of certification
The 2021 Value of IT Certification Report, Pearson VUE, May 5, 2021 looked at the outcomes of IT certification and showed the following benefits:
- 81% increased quality and value of work contributions
- 80% greater ability to mentor and support co-workers
- 77% increased ability to innovate and enhance work processes and outcomes
- 75% perform new tasks or fill roles of greater responsibility
- 72% increased efficiency (produce more in less time)
- 71% higher productivity (produce more overall).
Learn more about our Palo Alto Networks certification courses.
Want more cybersecurity statistics? Try this.
* (ISC)2 Cybersecurity Workforce Study, 2021, (ISC)2, October 26, 2021.